Jester

FAQ

11 posts in this topic

Everything here is subject to additional questions, removal, or edits.
Last edited January 1st, 2019. 

Q:
 What is "SCP"? 

A: SCP stands for "Special Containment Procedures", as you can find
here. It is a creative wiki based on writing stories/documentation on anomalous objects. I recommend you check it out yourself if you're interested! And yes, it's "Special Containment Procedures", not "Secure. Contain. Protect.", you can check here under "Bonus Answers".

Q: Will ____ be added?

A: We will not generally answer this. If you feel as if you have a cool idea we haven't discussed, make a
suggestion

Q: What site is the game based on?

A:
Area 14.

Q: Will the game be multiplayer?

A: Yes, all gamemodes planned will be multiplayer with A.I. server/gameplay options.

Q: Isn't Ascension too ambitious?

A: In a way, yes. Although, if we just cower out of things we want to accomplish in our lives, it will bring us nowhere we want to be. Our goal is to create a great game we always desired to exist - and no matter the struggles presented in doing so, we are not going to give up on it. We now have the resources and people to pull it off, and it's only rising from there. We are also not going to rush the release dates, we will launch it when it's ready rather than trying to stick to ultimatums to ensure we don't go down a dangerous path.

Q: How much will the game cost?

A: The game will be $14.99 USD once in pre-order with private alpha testing and early access, with a sale for -34% on our launch.  Patrons/donators will also receive keys based on tier rewards. Ascension will be a premium game to ensure it can have stable development and funding without having to rely on donations & personal careers. We want to make it a self-reliant project.

Q: When will the game be released?

A: When it's ready.

Q: Where will the game be released?

A: Steam, Humble Bundle, Epic Games Store, maybe Discord, etc. Potentially console platforms if the game is successful.

Q: Will there be updates post-release?

A: Yes. Bug fixes and content updates. We will also make sure our content is stable before we branch it off.

Q: What engine do you use?

A: Our game engine is
Unreal Engine 4.

Q: Is the game going to be like Containment Breach and/or Secret Laboratory

A: The short answer is no. At least we definitely are not going to be intentionally. Our goal is to make a lore-accurate, 'realistic' experience of what it would be like if the SCP Foundation was a real thing. We are going to have realistic weapons, vehicles, map assets, clothing, mechanics,  etc. We want this to feel as real as possible. Even if that means bending our backs backward in most cases. We aren't going to rehash the same concept over and over again, most of the newer SCP games have been rather stale, and we want to change that within our capability.

Q: What gamemodes do you plan on implementing?

A: We have a lovely list of our plans
here .

Q: What items/weapons will you have?

A:
Here ya go!

Q: Will there be gore?
A: Lots and lots.

Q: dIDnT thE ScAmBLe gEAr FaIL?

A: This game is based slightly in the future - there is a thing called technology advances and upgrades. And the original incident was an intentional sabotage.

Q: Will the game will be first or third person?

A: Both will be utilized for their own purposes/as server options.

Q: Will I be able to play with other people who bought it on different stores?

A: Yes! We will always ensure our game is cross-platform, not doing so would just be plain suicide. 

Q: Which platform would be the best in terms of supporting you guys (Affray Studios)?

A: The Epic Games Store version, it will give us the biggest split. As Discord says their cut is 10%, you also have to add Unreal Engine's 5%, so the total is 15%. Epic Games Store is a solid 12% cut for them, leaving us with 88% - way better than our 65% cut from Steam and Unreal. The more money that flows into our project, the better chance we have in making Ascension a great game, and will also help make any future project a possible reality.

Q: Which platform would you advertise the most from trailers and announcements?

A: It will likely be both Epic and Discord. Steam will likely be our odd-man in the corner until their share policy and page design become more pro-developer. 

Q: Are you considering console release? If so, will there be cross-platform for consoles, too?

A: Console release is a probability - but we will likely stick to just Switch and Xbox One, unless PS4 fully pulls their cross-platform policy on all games outside of Fortnite. And before it can be asked, no, we do not plan on a mobile version.

Q: How do you plan on taking the load of a multi-platform release?

A: It's simple, really, we'll likely partner up with an interested publisher that can help us in production cycles. Worst-case we'll just be putting more effort into updates and/or hiring new folks. Either way, it will work out.

Q: What other projects do you have planned after Ascension?

A: We are co-developing a project with Pig's Indie Games called "SCP - Foundation Command", which is a top-down facility builder and manager based on the idea of games like Prison Architect & RimWorld, where you run containment logistics on anomalies, and manage your staff and facility itself in the process. You can follow it's development on our main server (https://discord.gg/affray) and Pig's Indie Games' server (https://discord.gg/pigsindiegames).

I personally also have a few ideas I want to pursue in the future once Ascension is able to run on its own, such as a proper police role-playing game like LSPDFR. I would want it to be super customizable, being able to customize your uniforms, patrol/response vehicles exteriors and interiors, your map itself, and so on. I don't want it to be multiplayer-based like FiveM & Garry's Mod, I want it to be more intertwined into PvE, where the civilians, criminals, and back-up officers are AI. But, I would definitely want you to be able to play with your friends on patrol. This will not take priotity over Ascension, I just wanted to share my main idea for when after Ascension is relatively done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MofyOfficial (Mark) said:

will the game both have First and Third person, or only first 

From what i heard the driving will have 3rd and most of the rest of it will have 1st

Just cuz I don't remember the answer and can't find the answer:

When is the Private Build gonna be released to patreons?

(and what is private builds? ?)

Most likely some time in 2019. The private builds are experimental builds of the game that act as snapshots in development. Most of the private game builds will be buggy or lacking major features but allow the patrons to follow along with the development process. 

For example if I released the current build to our patrons you'd literally only be walking on a flat plane with 939 wandering about without animations. You'd be able to see the current development which would be the animations for the human character (which look damn fine) and the inventory, health, and weapons system.

Q 1 How many people will be in one match, and how will the match play along as time progresses?

Q 2 : What SCPs are planned on being in the game/very likely will be in the game?

Q 3 : Will there be community servers?

9 minutes ago, GlitchGhost said:

Q 1 How many people will be in one match, and how will the match play along as time progresses?

Too early to say. 

10 minutes ago, GlitchGhost said:

Q 2 : What SCPs are planned on being in the game/very likely will be in the game?

Also a bit too early to say,  but as of now, we are working with around a dozen. This will only increase over time.

10 minutes ago, GlitchGhost said:

Q 3 : Will there be community servers?

That's the entire purpose of the Sandbox gamemode  we plan.

Q 1: i know this is kinda weird but, will there be different intercom sounds, like when you press the button and release it or is it just one sound , or is there any at all

Q 2: does anybody call the MTF or is it just gonna be an automatic system that alerts them?

On 8/21/2018 at 12:08 AM, Zeus1337 said:

Q 1: i know this is kinda weird but, will there be different intercom sounds, like when you press the button and release it or is it just one sound , or is there any at all

Q 2: does anybody call the MTF or is it just gonna be an automatic system that alerts them?

I like the idea of an MTF hotline, like in the facility manager's office, there is a lockdown button or something.